Disclaimer

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Cribs: Hut Edition

Sorry about the dated title to this blog.  I don’t know what the kids are calling houses these days.  Is it still my crib? My pad?  My place? IDK.  In any case, I’m very happy with the hut.  Czech it.  You can also click on any picture to make it bigger.

This is Adrienne, the former PCV in Teyel, with the hut when I visited a month ago.  I don’t have a new picture of the outside, but it looks exactly the same now as it did then.

 This is the front door with its curtain, my bed (with my mosquito net up for the day) and a map of the world.  I have yet to meet anyone here who is able to find Senegal on it.  That silver thing hanging by the map is where I hang the cards and letters my Mom sends me.

 This is the front door looking in.  I added a “tableau,” which is an area with special blackboard paint so I can draw on it with chalk.  On top of the tableau is a family tree of my parents, their 9 kids, and all of the kids's kids.  There are three women in the tree that had babies without being married.  Scandal.  I also put my Pulaar verb conjugation chart and a calendar up there.

 I spy:  A map of Minnesota, a coffee pot and gas burner, a New Prague High School water bottle, a hula hoop (“hulaa” in Pulaar is “to be unafraid,” so the kids are confused by that name, but they love playing with it), UNO, a Scrabble play-a-day calendar, crayons, garlic salt, a bobblehead moose, a bag of Red House Coffee, and an unripe mango.  And many other things.

 People I love.  And a dog I love.  And a water filter.  And a window.

 It’s like Minnesota threw up in here.

Back yard.  I have a garage to keep my bike and laundry buckets in. Swanky.

 I’m just gonna direct you here if you can’t figure this one out.

Laundry line and compost pile

 This doesn’t look like much, but I’m really proud of it.  It took me a few hours of tinkering before it worked like I wanted it to.  This is called a Tipi-Tap.  You step on the stick on the bottom, which lifts up the back of the water jug, which makes water come out of holes punched in the top of it, so you can wash your hands, with running water and soap, in a way that’s fun enough that the kids actually want to do it.

My niece Fatu demonstrating the Tipi-Tap.

Thanks for reading!  If you send me pictures/posters, they will go on my wall :D 

2 comments:

  1. nice product plug brhbrh.... hut looks great! I'll send ya mail soon buddy. I am assuming the address at the top of the blog is current?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is! It'll be so good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete